Friday, October 12, 2012

No Place Like Home: A Built In Project

Its been a while since I've tackled a home post on this blog but I knew that I had to share this with you guys as soon as I had the chance!  When we first looked at our house when it was on the market, the owners had this really large armoire on the left side of the fireplace.  Because they had some other large sized furniture in the room, namely an oversized arm chair on the right side of the fireplace, it never occurred to me what we would do with the space when we moved in, since we didn't have an armoire or an arm chair.  We only had our large sectional an ottoman.

The night we moved in, it was obviously the first time we saw the house unfurnished and we very quickly realized why they needed the armoire in the space, to hold the TV components....duh.  So there lay the components on the hardwood floors.  Wires all askew and tangled amidst a black cable box and other stuff.  Ick.  No thank you....

So for almost a year, we've been living with the room like this:


See that way too tiny table over there?  Yeah, that was our makeshift component table.  Sort of pathetic looking, now that I'm thinking about it....but we needed to get the components off the ground.

I knew pretty quickly that the space needed something large on the walls on either side of the fireplace to balance the room out and to make it feel cozier.  We tossed around the idea of buying two matching armoires to add to either side of the mantle but it still didn't seem like it made good sense to do that.  Armoires can be expensive and it would have bothered me if they were too small or didn't match.

Cue Pinterest...

I did my homework dear readers.  In fact, I can't even tell you how many images like the one below that I have pinned or liked...

Image via Cote de Texas
I would say at least 50....which means that I had a solid idea in my head of where I wanted this home improvement task to go, and it did!  Ta-Da!  Of course I can't take any of the credit for the creation of this...we hired a professional to do the work.  I am aware of the handywork limits in this household :)



I can't tell you how much warmer the room feels now.  It felt so barren and cold before.  And don't even get me started on the crazy amount of storage we now have in our living room.  Totally in LOVE!

Now, we aren't totally done with this area of the living room, yet.  The mantle and surround of the fireplace need to be primed and painted still.  The tile will be replaced with something more sparkly and modern.  And of course the shelves will be filled, but definitely not all at once.  This is a project that I am tackling slowly.  Filling the shelves with interesting finds and layering them into the shelves is really hard work.  So one shelf at a time :)  Oh yea, we also replaced the ceiling fan with something more industrial feeling.  The builder grade cheap-o oil ribbed bronze fan without a light, needed to go.

So to any of you homeowners out there, have you tackled any projects lately?  Do tell!


No comments: